Thursday, April 12, 2012

Journal #1: Sophie's Choice


Journal #1
Movie: Sophie’s Choice
This unit has been all about the holocaust. We read different stories and articles about the holocaust, but we watch videos as well. One video that caught my attention dramatically was a small scene in the movie Sophie’s Choice. Sophie, the mother of two kids, was sent to a concentration camp. Her children went to the concentration camp as well. As everyone was waiting in line to move into the camp, a German solider said he thought she was beautiful and would like to be with her. Sophie took this opportunity to say to this officer that she was catholic, not Jewish. She said her kids were catholic as well. Since this officer was very fond of her, he said she could leave the camp, but with only one child. Sophie had two children by her side, a boy and a girl. Sophie kept saying ‘Please, please don’t make me choose. I couldn’t choose’ but the soldiers wouldn’t let both of her children survive. The choice was either they all die or Sophie and one child could live. In the end, she had to give her daughter up and kept her son because she knew her daughter had no chance of surviving. When I watched this scene, it definitely brought tears to my eyes. I could not imagine how a parent in that situation would feel. How could you choose only one of your two children to live? I know I wouldn’t be able to choose. When the solider took the daughter to the gas chamber, I have no words to explain how I felt. I felt so terribly sorry for Sophie. No parent would want his or her own child to die. 

No comments:

Post a Comment